August 18, 2008

Don't Spell It Out For Me, Please.

You are early today. You don’t look as peaceful as usual. What happened? The look on your face seems so distant from this humid corner of the world, it makes me wonder how on earth a beautiful creature like you becomes so lost. And all I can think of is that even stars fall, and we are only humans... You glanced at me twice from the moment you pop in until you sat down. And now I’m staring at you, directing a fictional play here, up here in my head. You are indeed the main actress. But who am I? I’m just part of the audience. I’m having my third cup of coffee while you are looking more anxious than ever. What is going on? You keep looking at your watch. You must be waiting for someone. And I wonder who that person might be. There he comes. I can’t hear your conversation but I must confess I’m dying to. Yes, I have to admit I’m terribly fascinated by the way you step into this little coffee shop. The way you gently take your seat and how you sip your hot cup of latte. I don’t drink latte, but watching you having yours, makes me want to have it through your lips. Every little gesture you make, drives me close to ecstasy. Am I exaggerating? Yes. I’m an exaggerator by nature. I can’t help it. But one thing is for sure: I’m dying to talk to you. Just when I thought I could break my shell today, there you are with someone else. Who told me to stop being a stranger? Who told me to take risks? If I said I was dying to talk to you, I’m sorry. I was lying. Because if I really was, I’d have moved forwards, looked at you in the eye and said: can we spend some time together drinking our hot lattes? But I didn’t and I’m not courageous enough to do so now. There’s nothing wrong in being a stranger. Or is it? I don’t need anyone to spell it out for me. Yes I’ve given up.

4 comments:

J. Camilo said...

You said that we shall never give it up... Say it again to the character in your story... he or she just needs to be persistent and patient... it will pay itself :-)

JC :-)

Francesca said...

There might be a thousand reasons behind the character's faillure. Or maybe none. But everything has a reason behind... Thus, there must be a reason, don't you think J. Camilo?
Maybe not a reason, but rather a driving force, a feeling, a thought which drives someone to act and not. So, was I wrong to say that there must be a reason behind? Is there a right or wrong answer though?

Cesca :)

J. Camilo said...

No, you were not wrong... :-) Your character's decision could reveal itself a wrong one later, though...

But how would we know today something that we will only be able to discover later, sometimes much later? :-)

J. Camilo :-)

Francesca said...

You don't know until it comes to you. Or you do, but you pretend you don't because there are things that you would never want to spoil until the right time to blossom arrives.

Cesca :)